Sun Ice Tours Inc (1983)

" Experience a Vacation to Remember "


This information is accurate at the time of posting and is subject to change.  

Below we have included links to both U.S. CUSTOMS  and  CANADA CUSTOMS for more information.

U.S. Customs Border Security

What do I need to know when crossing into the United States:

Crossing into the United States.
A Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) or Secure Certificate of Indian Status Cards are acceptable and REQUIRED to cross the US/Canadian border by land and sea.  

"Some Important Things To Know Before You Cross The Border!"
When traveling between Canada and the United States, the professionals who work at Customs are highly trained and this process is generally very simple. They'll ask to see your ID, ask about your citizenship and ask you to produce one of the documents above when crossing the border. Millions of people cross the border every year with ease, but some are refused due to lack of sufficient documentation. If you want to have a successful border crossing, it is important to know everything you'll need before you get there. Remember, these steps are in place to protect you so be sure to learn about crossing the border and avoid disappointment!

DO NOT BRING any Fruit and Vegetables when crossing into the UNITED STATES! 

  They are illegal and you may be subject to a fine of up to $300!

"Identification Is A Requirement!"
Identification is necessary for travel between the United States and Canada. Effective June 1, 2009, all travelers must travel with a Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Driver's License or Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID). Children under age 16 will be able to enter with proof of citizenship, no photo ID required. 

If you are not from the United States or Canadian born citizen you will be required to have a passport and possibly a Visa. 

"What is an Enhanced Driver License or Enhanced ID Card?"

US citizens who are Washington State residents are eligible to purchase an Enhanced Driver License or Enhanced ID Card for $15.00 more than a regular driver license and can be obtained within a couple of weeks. This EDL/ID will meet the requirements for proof of citizenship to re-enter the US from Canada and Mexico by land or sea. Many other states have or will soon have EDL/ID available for their residents, check with your local DOL for more information.  Further information is available at the Department of Licensing website. 

As of May 6, 2009, Manitoba now issues an Enhanced Driver License/Enhanced ID Card that can be used to cross the border

"Travelling with children and infants Require More Proof"
Parents traveling with children under age 16 and infants are required to provide proof of citizenship for each child. That may include original Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate or Citizenship Card.

If only one or both birth parents are not traveling you must have written authorization from the parent(s) not traveling or proof of custody.  Failure to provide such evidence may make you inadmissible into the United States.  This will also make you subject to scrutiny and forced to return back to Canada on your own.

We strongly recommend that children traveling abroad carry a consent letter proving they have permission to travel from every person with the legal right to make major decisions on their behalf if that person is not accompanying the children on the trip. For example, children traveling alone, with groups or with only one custodial parent should travel with a consent letter. The purpose of a consent letter is to facilitate the travel of Canadian children while preventing their wrongful removal to foreign countries.

 For your convenience, you can download a sample Consent Letter here:



Do I need my passport when returning home?  

Yes !  Please DO NOT  pack it in your suitcase when coming home.  

You will be asked for it and is very inconvenient  if we have to unpack your

suitcases under the bus!

When will I get my I DECLARE form to fill out?    

Your Tour Director will explain the form and hand it to you before we stop at the border.    

What conditions apply to your personal exemptions at DUTY FREE?    

You cannot combine your personal exemptions with another person's or transfer them to someone else.

In addition, you cannot combine your 48-hour exemption (CAN$800) with your seven-day exemption (CAN$800) for a total exemption of CAN$1600

In general, the goods you include in your personal exemption must be for your personal or household use. Such goods include souvenirs that you purchased, gifts that you received from friends or relatives living outside Canada or prizes that you won. 
Goods you bring in for commercial use or for another person do not qualify for the exemption and are subject to applicable duty and taxes. In all cases, goods you include in your 24-hour exemption (CAN$200) or 48-hour exemption (CAN$800) have to be with you upon your arrival in Canada. Except for tobacco and alcohol, goods you claim in your seven-day exemption (CAN$800) may be shipped to your home by mail, courier or other means of transportation.

Alcoholic beverages

 You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:
•1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
•a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcoholic beverages; or
•up to a maximum of 8.5 litres of beer or ale.

Alcoholic beverages are products that exceed 0.5% alcohol by volume. Minimum ages for the importation of alcoholic beverages, as prescribed by provincial or territorial authorities, are 18 years for the provinces of Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec and 19 years for the remaining provinces and territories.Note  The CBSA classifies "cooler" products according to the alcoholic beverage they contain. For example, beer coolers are considered to be beer and wine coolers are considered to be wine. Alcohol and wine products not exceeding 0.5% alcohol by volume are not considered to be alcoholic beverages. The quantities of alcohol you can bring in must be within the limit set by the province or territory where you will enter Canada. If the value of the goods is more than your personal exemption, you will have to pay both duty and taxes, as well as provincial/territorial assessments. In Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, you cannot bring in more than the quantities of alcohol allowed. For more information, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor control authority before you arrive back in Canada.

Tobacco products
If you are 18 years of age or over, you are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts

of tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes within your personal exemption:
•200 cigarettes;
•50 cigars;
•200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and
•200 tobacco sticks.

If you bring back more than your personal exemption, you will have to pay regular assessments on the excess amount. These regular assessments can include duty and taxes, as well as provincial or territorial fees. Border services officers will give an allowance for products that are marked "CANADA DUTY PAID • DROIT ACQUITTÉ" when they calculate the amounts owing.

In addition, Excise Act, 2001 limits the amount of tobacco products that may be imported (or possessed) by an individual for personal use if the tobacco product is not packaged and stamped "CANADA DUTY PAID • DROIT ACQUITTÉ." The limit is currently five units of tobacco products. One unit of tobacco products consists of one of the following:

•200 cigarettes;
•50 cigars;
•200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; or
•200 tobacco sticks.

While you are outside Canada, you can send gifts free of duty and taxes to friends in Canada under certain conditions. To qualify, each gift must not be worth more than CAN$60 and cannot be a tobacco product, an alcoholic beverage or advertising matter. If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, the recipient will have to pay regular duty and taxes on the excess amount. It is always a good idea to include a gift card to avoid any misunderstanding.
While gifts you send from outside Canada do not count as part of your personal exemption, gifts you bring back in your personal baggage do.

Paying duty and taxes
Making a full declaration and paying any duty and taxes you owe is a simple, straightforward process. You can pay by cash, traveller's cheque, Visa, American Express or MasterCard. The CBSA also accepts debit cards at most offices. If an amount is no more than CAN$2,500, you can sometimes pay by personal cheque. A border services officer will give you a receipt showing the calculations and amount you paid.

Special duty rate
After each trip outside Canada of 48 hours or longer, you are entitled to a special duty rate of 7% under the Most-Favoured Nation tariff treatment in addition to your personal exemption. The rate applies only to goods that accompany you, that do not qualify for duty-free entry under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and that are worth up to CAN$300 more than your personal exemption of CAN$400 or CAN$750. The rate does not apply to tobacco products or alcoholic beverages. You still have to pay any GST/HST that applies. In some provinces, the CBSA also collects the provincial sales tax (PST).

Regular duty rate

If you do not qualify for a personal exemption, or if you exceed your exemption limit, you will have to pay the GST/HST, as well as any duty or other tax or assessment that applies on the excess amount. Duty rates vary according to the goods you are importing, the country where the goods were made and the country from which you are importing them. You may also have to pay the PST if you live in a province where the CBSA has an agreement to collect the tax and you return to Canada through that province.

Border Crossing Information